As a working makeup artist, I quickly learned to wear a sweater on long studio shoots. Why? Because the studios are ice cold to make the models look fresh. Nothing breaks down makeup and does not irritate the skin faster than heat. Unfortunately, those of us who don’t work in studios are left to fend for ourselves when it comes to maintaining a fresh complexion. And as this summer proved to be one of the warmest recorded, we would certainly welcome help. So, this month we would like to explore a few ways to extend the life of your makeup and help your skin in these extremely warm months.
Tips for resistance to sweat your appearance
- If your skin gets too oily in the summer using normal moisturizers, try replacing your moisturizer with our BeautyPrep hyaluronic serum. It is lighter than traditional moisturizers and contains beta-glucan which helps to solve free radical damage caused by UV rays and summer heat.
- If you tend to get redness and irritation from the heat, try keeping your moisturizing spray in the refrigerator. The feeling of cooling is a wonderful way to soothe the skin and it definitely helps soothe redness and irritation. For added antioxidant protection, try our POMMISST moisturizing spray to help deal with free radicals that cause sun damage
You will be amazed at how effective our products are in the fight against the summer heat, and we hope you will find the solution you like. We would love to hear what your favorite summer products are so send us a message and let us know.
How does the summer heat affect your makeup?
To understand the solution, we must first identify the problem. Why does heat have such a detrimental effect on makeup? Well, the real problem is in the skin. When we are exposed to higher temperatures, our skin reacts by producing more sebum and sweat. It is not uncommon to experience more outbreaks and clogged pores in the summer months as a result. To make matters worse, our skin gets inflamed more easily when exposed to heat. Higher temperatures increase blood flow, so we usually turn red when we are hot. The traditional answer is to pack the powder to cover the redness and absorb sweat and oil. But applying the wrong makeup only makes the problem worse. Here’s why:
Traditional cosmetics often contain ingredients such as talc, oil and chemical SPF that can be problematic, especially in times when the weather is warmer.
- Talk – Due to its nature, talc retains heat in the skin. This is one of the reasons why talc-based powders have become so popular for baking (pack the powder under the eyes and leave it on for 10-15 minutes for a dramatic accent). The result can be redness, irritation and increased bumps and clogged pores.
- Oil – Also occlusive, prevents the skin from breathing and clogs pores. It does not absorb or add nutritional value to the skin. Wearing it in hot weather can inevitably lead to acne and blackheads.
- Chemical SPF – The mechanism of chemical protection from the sun is to absorb UV light into the skin, and then by a chemical reaction converts light into heat to disperse it. This warming of the skin can cause skin irritations.
Some people choose to wear less or no makeup in the summer months because they have so many heat-related skin problems. The problem with this solution is that the skin is actually more susceptible to environmental damage without makeup. It is absolutely necessary to put something in order to create a barrier between the elements and the skin – preferably something with SPF.
One of the reasons I love working jane iredale is that our products, in addition to being so pure, are formulated to be protective and therapeutic. And since we have an amazing range of innovative new products coming out every year, there are many options to choose from. It is a favorite for artists working on outdoor shootings and weddings because of its longevity and heat resistance. Let’s look at some warm weather systems that are great options.
The best sweat-resistant makeup products for summer
PurePressed base for normal to oily skin – Start applying with Smooth Affair Oily Skin Face Primer. PoreAway technology will minimize oil production and give the skin a matte finish. Then apply PurePressed Base to the color of your choice using The Handy Brush and finish with Balance Hydration Spray.
- The advantage of this warm weather system is that our Smooth Affair Oily Skin soothes and hydrates while controlling oiliness. PurePressed Base provides physical SPF protection that keeps skin cooler in the sun. Balance Hydration Spray also reduces oil production and helps fight acne bacteria.
An amazing base for normal to dry skin – Start applying with Smooth Affair Brightening Face Primer. A light, moisturizing consistency will soothe and hydrate the skin. Apply your shade Amazing Base Loose Mineral Powder with Chisel Powder Brush or use our handy new refill brush. Set your look next to D2O moisturizing spray.
- The advantage of this system for warm weather is that our Smooth Affair Brightening Face Primer will extend the longevity of makeup even in the hottest weather. Amazing Base will also provide a physical SPF to protect the skin from UV rays and D2O will give extra cooling, soothing hydration.